In support and recognition of the service of military families, the Supreme Court includes in Rule 7 a provision that permits temporary licensing for an attorney-spouse of an active duty service member of the United States Uniformed Services in Section 10.06. To apply for a temporary licensed under Section 10.06, you must:
- Be the spouse of an active duty service member of the United States Uniformed Services as defined by the Department of Defense and that service member is on military orders stationed in the State of Tennessee or Fort Campbell, Kentucky;
- Have been licensed and admitted by examination to practice law before the court of last resort in at least one other jurisdiction of the United States;
- Meet the educational requirements of sections 2.01 and 2.02 of Rule 7;
- Have achieved a passing score on the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE) as it is established in Tennessee at the time of application (see below);
- Currently be an active member in good standing in every jurisdiction to which you have been admitted to practice, or you have resigned or been administratively revoked while in good standing from every jurisdiction without any pending disciplinary actions;
- Are not currently subject to lawyer discipline in any other jurisdiction;
- Possesses the character and fitness required of all applicants for admission and licensing in this State;
- Be physically residing in Tennessee or Fort Campbell, Kentucky, due to the service member’s military orders;
- Have never failed the Tennessee bar examination;
- Certify that you have read and are familiar with the Tennessee Rules of Professional Conduct; and
- Have paid such fees as may be set by the Board.
The process for submitting an Application for Temporary License to Tennessee pursuant to Rule 7, Section 10.06 is not available online. Two applications are required to complete the application process – the NCBE Character and Fitness Application (the “NCBE application”) found at www.ncbex.org and the Tennessee application found below. ONLY HARD COPIES OF APPLICATIONS will be accepted at the address above.
Attorneys applying for a temporary license pursuant to Section 10.06 who move to Tennessee and begin employment or open an office prior to approval of the application for temporary license may practice pending admission (PPA) upon submitting an application to register for PPA. You must submit your complete application and apply for PPA by following the process found here.
HOW TO APPLY for a temporary license under Rule 7, Sec. 10.06 in Tennessee:
STEP 1: Read and familiarize yourself with Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 7 and Board Policies and Procedure, found under Governing Authorities.
STEP 2: Go to www.ncbex.org and create a secure NCBE number account. The NCBE number will be required on all forms completed for the NCBE and the TBLE application process.
STEP 3: Login to your NCBE Number account and complete the character and fitness application for a “Motion/Reciprocity” applicant. You may begin the NCBE Application at any time within six (6) months prior to the date your application is received by the TNBLE. When you have completed the NCBE online application process, save a copy of the completed application as a .pdf to submit with your Tennessee Application for Temporary License. You may email the NCBE application to the TBLE or print it and include it with your Tennessee Application (Step 4).
STEP 4: Complete the Tennessee Application for Temporary License using the form at the end of this page. Sign it before a notary and have it notarized. Compile the required attachments to the application:
- a certified copy of the record of the court from each state in which you have been licensed to practice, which license must confer the right to practice in the highest court in that state;
- a certificate of good standing from the agency in each state in which you are licensed responsible for the enforcement of disciplinary rules in that state;
- a complete copy of the NCBE Application for Background Investigation, with attachments (see Step 3, above; may be emailed);
- a copy of your Military Spouse Dependent Identification and documentation evidencing a spousal relationship with the service member; and
- a copy of the service member’s military orders to a military installation in Tennessee or Fort Campbell, Kentucky, or a letter from the service member’s command verifying that the requirement in Paragraph (a)(8) of Section 10.06 is met.
STEP 5: Submit the $375 application fee (CHECK OR MONEY ORDER MADE PAYABLE TO: TN BOARD OF LAW EXAMINERS) and the assembled application documents from STEP 4 to the Tennessee Board of Law Examiners, 511 Union Street, Suite 525, Nashville, TN, 37219. This office does not accept credit cards for the Temporary License Application. Please be sure to clearly mark your name and NCBE number on the check.